Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 6 - Adam and Eve Disobey God

Tonight is the first night Sam and I did not do the children's reading.  On a whim, my husband and I decided to get a sitter and go see a movie tonight, and I totally forgot about reading with Sam before I left.  We'll do a double reading tomorrow night and post it.  I did do a quick, late night reading on my own though.  My passage was about Abram and Lot separating.  Their herdsman started to fight amongst each other and Abram wisely suggested that they part ways allowing Lot to choose which direction he would go.  Lot chose the best land for himself and his flocks which took him towards the sinful city of Sodom.  Reading this passage I wondered how Abram must have felt.  Here he was letting Lot make the choice of which direction to go, and Lot chose the best land leaving Abram with the worst.  I wonder if Abram felt like it wasn't fair.  Here he was doing the right thing, and he got stuck with inferior land.  God is quick to tell Abram that he will be taken care of and that he will have many descendants.  Later, we will read that Lot gets sucked into an inferior society in Sodom and pays some pretty severe consequences.  It made me think that God's plan for us is always better than what we can come up with on our own.  In this passage, God protects Abram from the tempting though sinful land in Sodom and blesses him with something so much greater than he could even imagine.  Sometimes, we don't get what we want, but it's often because God has something even better in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment