Genesis 26:17-27:46, Matthew 9:1-17, Psalm 10:16-18, Proverbs 3:9-10
Today it was my reading from Proverbs that caught my eye:
Honor the Lord with your wealth
With the first fruits of all your crops
Then your barns will be filled to overflowing
And your vats will brim over with new wine
Proverbs 3:9-10
Of course this passage is often used to encourage tithing, and I do believe it applies to monetary "fruit", but today I keep thinking about the word "first". Am I giving God my leftovers? Does he get my leftover time at the end of my day? Do I give Him leftover attention once my circumstance demands I turn to Him as opposed to being firmly rooted in faith all the time? In my bible study today, the teacher referred to this as a glance vs. glare dilemma. Do we glare at the material things in our life while merely glancing at God once in a while instead of glaring at God and just glancing at our lives?
I am completely guilty of this. Sometimes I think I even manufacture drama just to have something to worry and fret over! It would be so much better and easier if I could spend the time glaring at what is truly important in life. Why does it always require a tragedy or a horrible accident for us to wake up and realize this? I think this is an area I will always be working on in my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment